DPDK porting on Windows
DPDK 21.08 supports running testpmd and examples with mlx5, i40e, and ice HW, vmxnet3 paravirtual devices in QEMU, or with PCAP virtual devices. It requires yet unsigned kernel-mode drivers to run (except mlx5). Only network PMDs are currently enabled.
Current focus is friction-less consumption by end-users and supporting more HW. Multi-process, and hence dpdk-pdump support is neither available nor scheduled.
Windows draft repository is suspended, all development happens in the upstream:
The DPDK documentation for Windows is updated along with upstream progress.
The PMD-specific documentation should be updated in the common NIC drivers guide.
Features and milestones may be noted here. This is not a commitment but plan of work. This list is obviously neither complete nor guaranteed.
- Ability to install and consume user-space static build
- Working user-space shared build (DLL)
- Process, pipeline, and download area for signed builds of kernel-mode drivers
- virt2phys security hardening
- Interrupt handling for netuio
- vmxnet3 PMD with VMware hypervisor
- virtio PMD
- ena PMD
- mlx5 PMD rte_flow features
- Unit tests
- Documentation build (doxygen + sphinx)
- Tracing for netuio to simplify troubleshooting for end-users
- Improved documentation and automated scripts
- AVX bug in GCC
- Functional tests in CI
- Advanced memory management: IOMMU, inbox kernel-mode driver